The world’s most prominent sports championship that occurs every four years is the dream of every athlete. The Olympic Games are being hosted by Rio de Janeiro this year and the summer games started on 5 August 2016. For a better insight about the games, read on to know the facts about the Rio 2016 Olympics.
1. It is the first time in the history of Olympics that a South American country has had the honor of hosting the Olympic Games. In 2009, Rio de Janeiro received the highest bid defeating Madrid, Tokyo and Chicago.
2. Among the many games in Olympics, Golf has made a comeback after 112 years and Rugby after 92 years. Golf was last played in 1900 and 1904 and the International Olympic Committee decided to include golf in the Olympic Games this year. The golf course in Rio has 18 holes which were designed by Gil Hanse, American golf course architect.
3. Rio is determined to be among the best to host Olympic Games and has deployed 85,000 soldiers and policemen. It is the largest force in the history of Brazil to be deployed for an event. The number is twice the number of security force assembled in London 2012.
4. The price of tickets range from $40 for swimming to $3000 for opening ceremony for best seats. There are a total of 7.5 million tickets for Olympic Games.
5. Food for athletes is a huge affair and the organizers of the games are responsible for preparing 60,000 meals in a single day. The food includes local cuisine for instance, tapioca, acai and pao de queijo along with black beans, ride and barbecued meat.
6. Um mundo novo which translates to- new world is the official slogan of Rio 2016 Olympics.
7. For the first time in the history of Olympic Games, summer games are being held during the winter season of the country as winter in Brazil lasts from Jun to August.
Visit owogroup.com and check out the Olympic Games themed phone cases at best prices.